Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Interesting...

In the Entertainment business, magazines are constantly being written and published promoting various celebrities, movies and events. Magazines generate publicity and fame for the client of an Entertainment PR firm. Before interning this past summer at a Public Relations firm, I didn’t realize that one of our main jobs as a Public Relations Practitioner was securing these placements. It was a bit of a reality check, being that I had already declared myself as a Public Relations Major, yet didn’t know what some of my duties would be. However, I found it cool and exciting that being in the PR world, you are responsible for the readings that get published nationally.
I researched the top ten Entertainment Magazines seen here, http://www.allyoucanread.com/top-10-entertainment-magazines/, and found it intriguing that only one of the ten was a gossip magazine. This is extremely beneficial to a PR person, because this means their clients are getting in the media as a result of their efforts. We want our clients in the media because of our hard work, not because of their not-so-smart decisions which catch the eyes of the tabloid writers.
I found it interesting researching Entertainment Magazines. We work so hard to shed a positive light on our clients and knowing that 9 out of 10 “real” magazines portray this. It’s very beneficial to our industry.
One of the main skills I feel necessary for being in the PR world, is to have strong people skills. It is important to build a relationship with those in the media, so that they will want to use your clients in their pieces.  I learned in my International Public Relations class that I am currently in, how this positive relationship with the media and the journalists helps all. First off, the person in the spot light gets a pleasant write up about them. Second, the account executive at the firm is noted as doing their job. And lastly, the public gets a strong view on the celebrity.
Interning has helped me to learn a lot about the PR industry, specifically the Entertainment PR industry. Research is key when completing any task. I find it interesting and favorable knowing that the majority of the public who choose an entertainment magazine, (which use the interview format on a client), would rather that than the gossip scribbled in the tabloids.  

No comments:

Post a Comment